Real balanced food: Mushroom stir-fry
I bought the most beautiful mushrooms from Food Lovers Market, and they served as the inspiration for this dish. We try to eat meat-free at least once a week but usually those dishes end up to be a curry or a soup. So this week was a bit different - a stir-fry with no meat! Of course, meat is not necessary, especially since the mushrooms give the dish a wonderful meaty flavour and taste.
What makes the recipe so delectable (other than the fact that it is dead easy to make and so fast) is the amount of soy sauce plus oyster sauce that goes into it. Both of these umami bombs make the dish smell and taste wonderful, and it leaves you feeling full and satisfied. I left out the chili because our eldest refuses to eat any spicy food. And when I make this dish again I am thinking of adding cashews or a similar nut, just for the added crunch.
I hope you enjoy this dish as much as we did!
Esrida Brits | 26 July 2019
- prep time: 15 min
- cook time: 15 min
- total time: 30 min
- 1/4 cup (62.5ml) good quality Soy Sauce (if avoiding gluten, then replace with tamari sauce)
- 1 tablespoon (15ml) oyster sauce
- 2 tablespoons (30ml) brown sugar
- 450g rice noodles (or any noodles you prefer)
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 reg onion, cut into thin wedges
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 long red chilli, finely chopped
- 500g mixed mushrooms, thickly sliced (we used a mixture of porcini, brown, button and shimeji mushrooms
- 250g sugar snap peas, top and tailed (string them if they are more mature)
- Handful of beetroot sprouts
- Handful of onion sprouts
- Coriander leaves
- 5ml sesame seeds
- Combine soy sauce, oyster sauce and brown sugar in a small bowl. Cook noodles according to package instructions.
- Heat a wok over high heat. Add oil. Swirl to coat. Add onion. Stir-fry for 3 minutes or until just softened. Add garlic and chilli. Stir-fry for 1 minute or until fragrant.
- Add mushrooms and sugar snap peas. Stir-fry for 3 to 4 minutes or until tender. Add the sesame seeds. Add sauce mixture and noodles. Stir-fry for 2 minutes or until heated through. Add the coriander leaves.
- Serve, topped with the sprouts.