My wish for you for 2021 is a clean head and heart, quality over quantity, and above all, a simple life!
2020 will forever be etched into my memory as the year I got rid of deadwood. Of course, so many other things happened (thanks Covid-19), but mostly, I cleaned out.
The year started with me leaving a marriage that should have ended years ago, and with that, moving into a new house. I threw out boxes and boxes full of things. Things I never wanted, never used, were broken, ugly, or just plain irritating. I changed my business, making it simpler and easier to manage. I changed my eating habits – who knew I really really liked fish! I changed my exercise routine – again, newsflash, I really enjoy walking, running, and pilates. I changed my hair, got rid of every single piece of clothing that made me feel less than I was, started reading again, watching almost zero television, and more.
During all of these changes and transitions, the one thing that became explicitly clear was that I was happy. Contrasted against years in a marriage where I did not belong, you could see it a mile away. Even when Covid-19 restrictions hit, when my business came to a screeching halt, when my kids could not go to school, when I prayed through the night for a blessing so that we could pay rent, even then, I was happy.
This led me to the realisation that I had landed in that blissfully beautiful spot of contentment, and the knowledge that this state of being bubbled up from within. With all the rubbish cleared out of my life, I had time and space to see what I had. And what I had was beautiful.
I was beautiful. Free. Powerful. Blessed. Abundant. All the things I always wanted to be, but were too afraid to claim for myself. Now, with no one holding me back or forcing me to play by their rules, I could grab life and shape it according to my needs. And my dreams. To the longing of my soul.
Yes, I ended up as a single mom, with all the financial, security, disciplining and guidance needs on my shoulders, but it had been my choice. And how glorious did that feel!
2020. A year of plucking out weeds, of working the ground, and of sowing seeds.
2021. The year might still be difficult, no garden is complete after one round of weeding, and no seed can grow after only receiving water once. But if we just keep going, our harvest will be bountiful.
And that is my wish for you for 2021. That 2020 have led you to get rid of all the things that held you in chains, that you have shed your old skin and started stepping into who you were made to be.
- That you will realise what you need, and get rid of the rest.
- That you will find that being alone is not the same as being lonely.
- That you will attach meaning and importance to moments and not things.
- That you will be a safe haven for others and have your own harbour to return to.
- That you will get renewed strength to start to dream again, and dream big.
- That you will see the blessings when you look into your kids’ eyes, and not the tiredness in your own.
- That your obstacles will become mountains for you to stand on, to give you a better view over what you have achieved.
- That you will find yourself again, even if that person was buried under years of self-betrayal, self-denial, and self-neglect.
- That you will know how beautiful you are, and ignore everyone who cannot see your worth.
- That you will have the courage to raise up warriors, and that you will not fall for the lie that we can do it alone.
- That you will realise you were made with a creation purpose, and that you will find yours and start living it.
Quality over quantity. Time over things. Love over strive. Victory over life. Onward and upward.
My 2021 be the runway from where your dreams take flight.